Wednesday, January 23, 2013

My Go-to Work Lunch

The idea here is to pack salads using veggies and protein you have on hand, and to layer the ingredients so that everything stays fresh until it's time to eat.  Salads packed in glass jars are a great idea (salad shakers in jars) but I don't have any so I just use the containers I already own.


First I poured in a couple of tablespoons of dressing into a container.  Pictured is balsamic vinaigrette from Trader Joe's.


Then I threw in 11 grape tomatoes cut in half.  Yes, exactly 11.

These mushrooms are a leftover topping from pizza last night.  

I diced up a leftover avocado and squeezed a little lemon juice to prevent them from turning brown.


Next I nuked some frozen sweet corn and tossed them in with diced red bell pepper.

Then there's the chicken.  Again, a leftover topping from making pizza.

I chopped cilantro and sprinkled it on top.

Then goes in the crumbled feta.  I.  Love.  Cheese!

Fresh spinach.  By placing your greens on the very top and the dressing on the very bottom you can avoid a nasty wilted mess.  One of my pet peeves is sad, limp greens in an otherwise delicious salad.

And that's it! Click on the lid and put in your fridge to take to work in the morning.


I love these salads because they're a good way to eat your veggies and get rid of some leftovers. Ingredients I frequently use are:
  • Greens: finely chopped kale, spinach, chopped romaine, herbs like cilantro or basil
  • Other vegetables/fruit: tomatoes, avocado, bell pepper, thinly sliced red onion, corn, carrots, broccoli, thinly sliced radishes, cucumber, green beans
  • Protein: chicken breast, chickpeas, black beans, white beans
  • Cheese: feta, goat cheese
  • Dressing: balsamic vinaigrette, Dijon vinaigrette
  • Other: sprinkles of brown rice, couscous, quinoa, toasted and chopped walnuts/almonds, dried currants/cherries/cranberries




4 comments:

  1. omg tooooo kyooooot!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Apparently gossipers like yourself have forgotten how to spell!

      Will you come work out with my 5th graders, by the way?

      Delete
    2. we will be in contact. i would love to!

      Delete

Cooking with Angus All rights reserved