Monday, January 28, 2013

Recipe Review: "Best Brownies" from Allrecipes

When I realized that I didn't have brown sugar to make chocolate chip oatmeal cookies, I looked up a recipe for brownies on allrecipes.com.  Many of their recipes are generally reliable as long as they have tons of good reviews and are easy to follow so I chose one that met the criteria.  Here's the link to the recipe: Best Brownies Ever.  I followed the recipe exactly, but left out the frosting because I thought they'd be too sweet.  

I was hoping for dense, chewy brownies because that's just how I think good brownies should be.  I hate brownies that have the texture of chocolate cake.  Just call it what it is-if it's like cake, call it cake! Anyways, enough of the ranting.

 Here's what I did:  

I began by melting a stick of butter,

adding sugar,

cocoa powder,


and a little vanilla extract.

Then I added in two eggs,

beat the eggs,

and added the flour

along with baking powder.

After mixing it all up, I poured it into a baking pan sprayed with Pam.

This is the brownie going in...

and this is what it looked like after 30 minutes.  I did the "toothpick test" (you stick it in the middle and if it comes out clean, it's done).

After cooling I cut the brownies into little squares.  

There's Wuz standing in the background waiting for a piece.

So the recipe overall was really easy to follow and the ingredients are minimal which is nice.  When I ate the brownies warm out of the oven, the texture was too much like cake for me so I was pretty disappointed.  Being patient and letting them cool completely is worth it though since they flatten a bit and become chewier.  They still didn't have the super chewy texture I normally like but are still pretty good.  

One of the reviews on allrecipes mentioned that overbeating the eggs can create a fluffier brownie so maybe that's something I could keep in mind if I decide to try this recipe again.  Also, the brownies are plenty sweet without the frosting the original recipe calls for.

The verdict:
I give this recipe a 7 out of 10 on the scale of brownie worthiness.









No comments:

Post a Comment

Cooking with Angus All rights reserved