Saturday, January 26, 2013

Banana Oatmeal Smoothie

I found very thorough and complete directions on how to make oatmeal smoothies on The Yummy Life which I have found to be great breakfasts on-the-go.  I love recipes that have a lot of room for variations with different options and this is one of them.   

This particular one has coconut water and banana.  I love that I don't need to add extra sweeteners and it still comes out sweet.

I first start by scooping 2 tablespoons of oats into my little blender, 

as well as 1 tablespoon of flaxseeds.

I grind it all up until everything becomes a fine powder.

Next comes the coconut water and I make sure to shake it all up with the lid closed.

I take a whole banana and peel it.  It's actually easier to peel the end opposite of the stem.

The banana gets chopped,

and in the kids go, into the pool.

Blend the ingredients and pour into a cup.

The oats thicken the smoothie after a few hours.  I make them the night before and store in the fridge so by morning the consistency is where I want it to be.

Here are more options to tweak your smoothie recipe:
  • fruits: frozen or fresh berries, mangos, peaches
  • liquid: milk, soy milk, almond milk, hemp milk, tea
  • other: yogurt, honey, chia seeds
  • for a thicker smoothie: grind up another tablespoon or two of oats






No comments:

Post a Comment

Cooking with Angus All rights reserved