Friday, August 26, 2011

Throwdown: hot dogs

Last night Yohan and I faced off in a hot dog throwdown challenge! We both used the same franks and buns, but decided on different toppings.  We asked my little sister Wuz to be the judge in a blind taste test so while we were in the kitchen she was exiled into the living room to watch her anime shows (sorry, Wuz!).

The Wuz
After spending some time thinking about what to put on our wienies this is what Yohan and I each came up with.  Yohan made a Mexican inspired hot dog with homemade guac, diced tomatoes, sour cream, and crisp shredded lettuce.  To make it even better he stuffed cheese in the middle of his dogs before grilling.  So creative, I know!

My hot dog had an Italian flair to it with fresh mozzarella, caramelized onions, mini heirloom tomatoes, and a balsamic reduction. 

So after we were all done and ready to be judged by the Wuz I blind folded her and brought her over from the living room to the dining table.  I probably should have blind folded her after she was sitting at the table but it was kind of fun watching her trying to navigate to her seat (with my help, of course).  

She started with Yohan's hot dog and then took a bite of mine, kind of switching back and forth between the two.  After two hot dogs later she said that she liked both but admitted that one was a little better to her liking than the other.  And the one that she liked more was....Yohan's! She preferred the guac and fresh veggies on Yohan's more than the caramelized onions on mine.  I guess I should have known my own sister better but oh well.  Congrats to Yohan! He really did a good job and I'd gobble up another one of his creations in a heartbeat.   

No comments:

Post a Comment

Cooking with Angus All rights reserved