Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Crisp Rosemary Flatbread

This recipe is comes from Smitten Kitchen/Gourmet Magazine and is very easy to make.  I've made it at least three or four times in the past month and I usually don't make the same thing too often unless I really like it.  It's more like a cracker than bread and perfect for eating with hummus or bruschetta sauce.  So when I decided to make the flatbread this morning this is where it started: my apartment balcony.


I picked the rosemary fresh from the little herb garden (Thanks to the Bird and Soph-a-loaf) we have.  I love having fresh herbs on hand! I'm actually not sure what the two other herbs are to the left and right of the rosemary but they tasted good on roasted potatoes.  As long as they taste good, right?   


Here's another shot of the rosemary plant with the tomato plant in the back.  This shot reminds me of a forest for some reason...it's probably because of all the greenery.  Sadly our tomato plant is not producing any tomatoes (yet) although it's getting pretty tall and we've had it for a while now.  It looks like a little tree, doesn't it?

So then after washing the rosemary I chopped it all up like so and then put all the dry ingredients (flour, salt, baking powder, and chopped rosemary) in a bowl.


Then I mixed the dry ingredients together and made a well in the middle for the water and olive oil.

After mixing it all up with my dough blender I took the dough ball out to knead a few times.  I love the feeling of squeezing and kneading dough, don't you? There's just something therapeutic about it that I can't explain. 

 Next I divided the dough into eight equal-ish parts.

Using a rolling pin I flattened the 1/8 pieces of dough, three at a time since that's all my baking sheet could fit.  You really have to flatten them out until they're super thin.  The first time I made these they turned out on the thick side.  I just like them better thinner because they turn out crispier.  I would try out different thicknesses to see what I like best.  After rolling them out I brushed the tops with olive oil and sprinkled some salt for flavor.


I baked them in the oven at 450 for about eight minutes, they turned golden brown.  

This Bruschetta Sauce from Trader Joe's is so so so good.  I call it Italian salsa.  It has tomatoes, olive oil, basil, and garlic.  Yum.  

The Recipe:

Makes 8 flatbreads

1 ¾ cups unbleached all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon chopped rosemary
1 teaspoon baking powder
¾ teaspoon salt
½ cup water
1/3 cup olive oil plus more for brushing
sea salt

Preheat the oven to 450˚F.  Lightly grease a baking sheet with olive oil and set aside.

Combine the flour, rosemary, baking powder, and salt in a bowl. 

Make a well and pour in the water and olive oil.  Use a dough blender or wooden spoon to mix ingredients together.

Take the dough out and knead a few times on a lightly floured surface.  Divide the dough into eight equal pieces.

Use a rolling pin to flatten out each 1/8 piece of dough.  Place rolled out dough on the baking sheet and brush with olive oil and sprinkle with salt.  Bake for 
approximately 8 minutes, or until golden brown. 

Repeat with remaining dough.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Cooking with Angus All rights reserved